(530) 472-3355


Resources and key information for foresters

Resources For Foresters

Forester Training Manual  

You can find the MSW Forester Manual here. The document is a self-guided orientation tool, designed to assist foresters contracted with My Sierra Woods (MSW) in building a clear understanding of our program, processes, and expectations. 

Not currently contracted with MSW, but interested? Connect with Chantz Joyce (cjoyce@forestfoundation.org) to learn more about the opportunity. We are always looking to expand our forester capacity for working with private landowners. 

MSW Forms 

Landowner Data Agreement

Give a copy of this form to each landowner during the initial visit. The form should be submitted as an attachment to the Initial Site Visit form or via email to jbaker@forestfoundation.org 

Forester Invoice Form

Submit any time you have an invoice to be paid for time spent on technical assistance. Please see Forester Manual for more details on submitting invoices. 

MSW Project Application

Once landowners are ready to commit to a treatment project, submit this form so the MSW team can determine financial assistance and work with you to identify an operator for the project.  

Project Completion Certification

Submit once project has concluded, certifying that treatments meet specifications. 


 NOTE: Operators will contract directly with MSW on treatment projects, which means they will request payment through this MSW Payment Request form. Foresters will not need to fill out this form, but you may need to direct operators to the form if asked. 

For forms that are password-protected, please contact jbaker@forestfoundation.org for access. 

Useful Resources 

Permitting and Exemptions 

Much of our work is completed with CAL FIRE Timber Harvesting Forms (1038 Exemptions, etc.). These forms can be found here. 

For projects not utilizing CAL FIRE documents, we are working with the local Resource Conservation District as the lead agency on CEQA documentation. An example form can be found here.

Spatial Data Resources 

Click here to download a blank shapefile if you’d like a template for creating project boundaries. 

NRCS California Treatment Standards

Forest Stand Improvement (666)  

Woody Residue Treatment (384)  

Fuel Break (383) 

Prescribed Burning (338)  

Other Resources 


If your landowner is interested in burning options connect directly with the local Tuolumne and Calaveras County Prescribed Burning Association (PBA)

If your landowner’s property is located outside of the MSW footprint, we recommend connecting directly with the local RCD office to discuss eligibility for financial assistance through other local, state and federal programs like the CALFIRE California Forest Improvement Program (CFIP) and the NRCS Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP).

Have A Question? Contact Us Today!